City leaders, Pleasant Valley community members, and alumni of the Megginson School gathered Saturday morning at the old schoolhouse on Spinoza Circle off Concord Turnpike in Lynchburg for the unveiling of a new historical marker designed to inform the public about one of the few places Lynchburg-area African-American children had the opportunity for an education before schools were integrated.
Built in 1923 on two acres of then-Campbell County land donated by former slave Albert Megginson, the school educated hundreds of children. Megginson’s grandson Lorenzo Megginson spoke at the ceremony, thanking the state for supporting the restoration of the school.
The two-classroom building was constructed with financial support from the local African-American community, Campbell County and the Julius Rosenwald Fund, created to provide education to rural African-American children across the southern United States. The school was one of more than 360 Rosenwald schools built in Virginia. (Reprinted from and additional information newsadvance.com.)
The historical marker's sponsor is Sister Cynthia Gaines whose Grandfather, Mr. Wiley Gaines, is recognized for his contributions.